Thursday, February 28, 2013

Before: Psycho-Pass and Katekyo Hitman Reborn

I'm very surprised that Akira Amano chose to work for the character designs of Gene Urobuchi's Psycho-Pass. You could tell why I'm surprised. I waiting for another one of Amano's works to see if her writing improved. Not that I don't like KHR (I do), but there are several issues that I have to address if I ever do a video retrospective on things that I love or at least like because there are different categories out there (there will be lots of retrospectives, something like a mesh of JesuOtaku's Digimon Retrospective, Linkara's History of Power Rangers, and Welshy's Horror Franchises).

Akira Amano created the series Katekyo Hitman Reborn, a popular shonen series that ended last year. It tells the story of a normal pathetic boy Tsunayoshi Sawada just living life until his mother called in a tutor Reborn to help with his studies. In fact, the flier is fake and Reborn is actually the greatest hitman ever lived and he's here in Namimori to train No-Good Tsuna into a perfect mafia boss. Along the way, he met his friends and gathered a resolve to protect his friends and family. All the while, he is also trying to preserve his sanity and not trying to break under the pressure and darkness of the mafia.

Gen Urobuchi is a famous writer, best know for his dark and often tragic works. His workings include Puella Magi Madoka Magica (thank god I don't have to say the summary or I'll spoil it...yeah), Fate/Zero, and recently Psycho-Pass. He got better at least with the tragedies.

I think Amano is trying to work on darker series now from the overtly...I wouldn't say any synonyms related to cheery but I could say unnerving KHR. I'm pretty sure she heard of Madoka.

Anyways, I think I remember reading somewhere she ships a yaoi couple in KHR but she withholds the information because she didn't want people to see through different eyes. She's protecting the integrity of her work and I admire her for that despite the many, many problems with the KHR fandom.

I bring this up because Psycho-Pass' main leads resemble Tsunayoshi Sawada and Kyoya Hibari to a decree that 1827 shippers are positive they are reincarnations or a disguised plot to pair alternate versions of 1827. I stand by my case that the Decimo generation is the reincarnation of Primo generation, but not neither of those two options. I like to think them as their own characters.

My brother and friends knows I'm a closeted yaoi/yuri fangirl...except more mature in their point of view. They find those yaoi fangirls to be annoying generally. I acknowledge the homoerotic subtext in many works. For KHR, yes I do acknowledge the subtext (I don't know why I'm attracted to 1827 among 8659, 6996, LalColo, 1120, 8733, 7783, 1496, and R88...yeah, this is the only homosexual coupling on the list...) now matter what but there are so many teasing between characters how can one see which one is Amano's OTP? 27K doesn't count since it's heavily implied in her comment to have Tsuna with a guy.

Those who shipped 1827 noticed the Tsunemori Akane and Kougami Shinya. I doubt she had a hand on the names since Urobuchi created the story in the first place and wanted Amano (I think?) for a reason or two. Just look at what happened to Ume Aoki during the production of Madoka. I don't know if Amano know the story very well to intentionally design the characters to look like Tsuna and Hibari respectively. Similar personality or no, Amano took advantage of the personalities and designed the characters (and not only Kougami reminds me of TYL!Hibari but also Spike from Cowboy Bebop). It's just as Ume Aoki did so with the designs on Madoka.

Taking in Urobuchi's voice on sexuality:
"For me, perhaps there is part in my thought that said whatever relationship that could exist between male and female it should also exist between couples of same sex. Inside me, I could not imagine a model in which there is something that absolutely could only exist between male and female. Notwithstanding the extra element of sex, I do not believe male-female relationship is such a special thing among all the different inter-human relationships. Therefore if I really feel like doing, I may even try a melodrama between male couples, something like BL."
- Black Past Interview with Gen Urobuchi
Regardless of his support and the subtextual hinting in his works, there are no textual hints. This goes with Amano's KHR as well.

I am currently watching Psycho-Pass for two reasons. Other than being written by Urobuchi and character-designed by Amano (do you think that he will try to break Amano as he did with the women on Madoka's production?), I wanted to see what the gist about the Ship Tease. No matter who is the writer or designer, the fans better be right about it (even if this is another Urobutcher). If Kougami ended up like Homura or Spike...

 Because I am only reaching the third episode so far, I might as well make you see this:

:0... EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!?!??!?!?!?!??!
I normally don't use internet slang but I will use it now because I'm speechless!
O_O

2 comments: