Friday, January 1, 2016

Fanfic Rec: Tadashi Hamada, Big Hero 6's Antagonist

Kitsune/spirit foxes seem to be a theme for our anti-heroic Tadashi. I do find it ironic that while we would think that Tadashi would be in brightly colorful armor like his friends, he ended up going in dark colors with little armor. In the fic, he's a one-man army due to the experiments he undergoes. 
I have an admitted love for characters going anti-hero/villain. I love Dark Mercury of PGSM fame and I imagined characters going bad. Just as I like Face-Heel Turn trope, I also love the Heel-Face Turn. I do like characters going good, seeing how their character develop was great.

And one of these characters I imagined going bad or at least anti-hero is Tadashi Hamada of Big Hero 6.

And it seems I'm not the only one.

Okay, BH6 isn't exactly the greatest with the whitewashing (god look what they did to Ainu Fred in the film adaptation? The animation of women in Disney is still terrible due to their lack of diversity because I literally thought with the exception of Gogo, Honey is basically white not Latina. I couldn't find anything distinguishable from the Latina lineage at all. I mean I can tell which ethnicity Sofia Vergara is. I have no problem with a racially diverse group but what I do mind is what the heck are they thinking making Hiro half white, Fred, an Ainu in original comics to white and Honey Lemon, half white. Why make the choice of making them white in some form when there can be full-blooded Japanese or Hispanic out there? Albeit American-raised. I'm Vietnamese and raised for two years in Vietnam but I ultimately grew up here in America and identified myself as Vietnamese-American, a naturalized citizen. I have no problem with biracial persons out there and I don't want to offend anyone but the choice to make it less offensive to the choice to make it indeed revolutionary is just heartbreaking especially when they had the choice.) and what they did to San Fran and Tokyo, why not pick a simple location instead of going out of their way to destroy San Fran's history (couldn't Disney set it up in a futuristic San Fran or something? Set it up in Tokyo if you don't want to set it up in San Fran. I mean we got Japanifornia for Ace Attorney but that's only in the western release and we got cool names like Phoenix Wright but at least that can be easily solved by having a system primarily for the lawyers for the Turnabout System although things that are primarily Japanese culture dug a hole deep). I digress. I like how they tackle grief and the overall story, better put together than Frozen. Then again, past Disney works are better than Frozen. Look, I am still going to go through Frozen's world in Kingdom Hearts like it happened but we're skipping it kind of thing (thank you, Square Enix, for not including Frozen in KH yet and thank you for not including it yet in any installments no matter how popular your game is). I need to stop digressing whenever I reach the topic of Frozen. You got the idea that BH6 is better than Frozen, got it? While the Oscars still don't know anything about animation making that category null and void of any win if anyone voting doesn't care but I already made my argument in a previous post so any wins in that category is null and void and nobody won, of course, not even Frozen. What won was the growing view that animation is for kids and therefore adults don't care even though modern day American animation (and I'm focusing on America only. I still see you, Alfred,on~! Our heroic attitude always get on the nerves of other nations, right, Alfred? No matter how well-meaning we are, we tend to go overboard even though our views mean very little in other countries unless it's North Korea. Hey, Himapapa, at least you got that characteristic down pat. Still hilarious I'm willing to call Himapapa but no Terajima-sensei anywhere in sight.) have such great shows such as Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Avatar.
We need to move onto the fanfics before I say things I already said before in previous posts.

Now to be honest, if a sequel is greenlit for Big Hero 6, I already mourned Tadashi's death and there shouldn't need to be any more angst. Please, I'm an anime fan; I saw favorite characters, good and bad, interesting and bland, died. You have no idea how I cried at Nina Tucker's death in FMA...both versions of course; no matter how many times I watched the series particularly those set of episodes, I always bawled like a baby. Anyways, I found it hilarious that we like to torture our favorite characters in all fandoms even though sometimes canon took great measures to do so already. In the BH6 fandom, Tadashi or Hiro went through the most breaking. While I do like the idea of Tadashi opposing BH6 in some way be it antihero or villain, how on earth did he survive the explosion is the question.



Unexpected Turn of Events: Tadashi didn't die in the fire, but he emerged from the ashes as a whole new person due to mysterious circumstances. Hiro learns this the hard way when he manages to knock the mask off the person who attacked him and his friends, and when he manages to get himself kidnapped by the person he used to call 'brother'. (Yokai!Tadashi AU. Spoilers Inside.)

Fox-Face and Flames: Another mask-wearing hero arrives in San Fransokyo. Having no qualms about killing, this man appears to be more of an adversary than an ally to the city's six heroes. Putting aside, something about this fox-masked, anti-hero seems melancholy and familiar... alive/anti-hero!Tadashi

These works are similar, dealing with Tadashi subject of human experiments, experiencing so much trauma he went amnesiac and went bad basically. But it also deals with how these people connected to have been impacted by the current Tadashi's actions, being dark as he is.

I believe the reason why I like the second recommendation much because it expands the universe BH6, without the comic thing which is already racist on its own and the movie isn't doing much better in that apartment, on its own except this deals with things the safe Disney now won't go to that direction. The fic takes a lot of risks, having Tadashi tortured and going through hell a la Tokyo Ghoul's Kaneki Ken (the author admitted she took a lot of what Tadashi went through from Kaneki's experience in the manga. Wow, there are a lot of Alive!Tadashi AU's out there that does have Tadashi going evil/antihero or just plain alive and on the side of good but this is the most horrific one I have seen written for poor Tadashi who snapped in the end.) and deals a lot with the psyche and the nature of evil and humanity. While the film explores vengeance and grief which is well-written, this fic takes what the film had and expands the deeper and philosophical level especially the latter deal. It's certainly not pretentious and it does go with the science theme of the film.

This is a criticism of the film itself but the rest of the team doesn't really have much impact. Yes, we see their characters and nakama but Wasabi, Honey, Gogo, and Fred makes so little impact other than what symbolize what Tadashi is; so since we see some similarity between Tadashi and his friends, we should see Hiro see that Tadashi lived more than just Baymax but also his friends. I wanted to see more interactions and we do get them in supplemental materials and the manga. What fanfics does is allow things that movie has little hints about and can even improve something. This fanfic does just that, allowing these side-characters to grow and befriend their supposedly-dead friend's team of anti-heroes and all of them have different reactions although the encompassing reaction to the Doubutsu trials is horror and shock. All these characters have an impact on the characters and the overall story and it's just so good to see like that.

I should let you know that during the formation of Big Hero 6 and Hiro's grief-revenge thing, we got Tadashi going through torture and trauma a la Tokyo Ghoul. We could make the assumption based on the timeline because 1) Tadashi and others that were recovered from their accidents and thus thought to be dead by loved ones has long since healed from their accidents especially Tadashi who still got burn scars and 2) 5B trials took place in the span of 30 or so days which would be the time Big Hero 6 would make their appearance. He's in a far worse situation than Hiro was in when he wanted revenge, getting a new personality out of the ordeal. I have to remind you that the Big Hero 6's formation relies on Tadashi's 'death' and he's the reason why they chose to be superheroes. So, the reason, Nice Guy Tadashi snapped and become an antithesis of himself. In-fic, what this new Tadashi had done horrified them. That is until they learned the reason why the way he is.

The OC's are great too, diverse in their reactions towards their really unfortunate circumstances (that is very good because people have different ways to cope with different personalities). They are victims of unfortunate circumstances, having no choice to kill in this Battle Royale experimentation. All of them had nearly died and recovered and then sent to a mini hell on earth. I wish that after all this mess and CASCO is revealed to the world for their inhumanity, there's an honor set for the people who had died including those who got killed by various members AKA Tako. Man, what is it with octopuses? In the Lego Movie, there's TAKOS, there's Penguins of Madagascar's antagonists and now here Tako is the mole.

Since the movie takes place in an alternate Marvel world, the origins of Tadashi and his group makes sense, being trained super-soldiers (kind of because of the formula they took has a strong physical endurance and power to them. However, all of them are all very well-trained in what weapons they choose to use and do they choose to use what weapons they can get their hands on. They're fewer super-soldiers as successful participants of a drug meant to withstand lots of stuff) in the line of Captain America or Black Widow.


It's easy to explain how a machine doesn't work as opposed to one that does work (just see my review for Frozen). Maybe that's why people can easily pick apart flaws of something they hate and go on furious rants including those who are ignorant (I am looking at you, Amazing Atheist).

I go on rants about the show on previous posts how they could have improved and what they did especially Glee. I mentioned things I repeat over and I keep thinking I am repeating things ad nausea on what they did by using the show had addressed and what I interpreted from said show.

Just please read them. These might be one of the non-slash works I recommended for awhile. I don't think I ever had a single fanfic post dedicated to non-slash, considering how proud I am a yaoi fangirl (I am proud of it just as the internet reviewers are proud of being said caustic critics about bad media).

Just read them.


Okay, I love superhero films. I haven't read the comics due to not knowing which store or library to visit; I honestly wanted to read everything about DC and Marvel.

I love how the films build up to the Big Damn Movie that is the Avengers. I love how Marvel did with their little-known superheroes and give them spotlights in their own movies, yes Disney may have made them but the movies are well-done in spite of hiccups.

I love Sky High and other well-written superhero movies so much that seeing an AU would send my heart aflutter. That does include the Nolan Batman films...which is still far better than Man of Steel or those DC movies other than Nolan and Burton Batman movies and those Superman movies. I might be missing some DC movies out there but on the front seat ride to the MCU and DCCU would be a ride especially in comparison to the faith that Marvel has in their characters (such as Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy) is markedly different to DC (pressure on their characters thus actors to get what they're doing well. Considering it's Snyder on board, I don't want to think about it given his track record. I seriously want to give this guy a chance but experience with his past films made think it's not worth seeing it. Man of Steel is just stupid and I don't even mind people liking it or hating it, even though I have a negative emotion towards the movie. I don't care about DC/Marvel rivalry even though it's kinda funny though and I do like all superheroes I know and I love the first Iron Man film a lot. I don't care of dark and gritty vs lighthearted because all I care about is execution and because it's Snyder, I want someone else to helm it. He doesn't have the strength to carry a franchise that DC fans have been looking forward to since Marvel fans have since MCU's success like Whedon or Nolan. MoS may be financially successful but it was divisive and I personally do not like it for not getting the character right at all; it's joyless and I feel depressed and not pumped up unlike how I feel about Avengers or other MCU movies, hell even the Nolan and Burton Batman movies have some fun and strength in it more than MoS where they have little levity and just feel depressed and stale. I know in passing about the Superman mythos but even I know who Superman is supposed to be. Why, Snyder, why do you knock on Marvel when they know how to do business? Reaching to fans, younger generations and made a universe through shows and movies, even an App. Snyder, I consider you a terrible director but you really have no right to say that when your franchise is shaky at worst and dubious hope at best and it's all on you and your actors to deliver what DC fans wanted since Marvel fans have for years. Marvel have audience's faith and trust through earning due to conventions and what I stated before. DC/WB can do better than what they're doing business right now. Having the most iconic and recognizable heroes would be more harmful than one think especially since DC seems to rely on that. Marvel have little-known heroes make the big screen and look their receptions, better warmly greeted than MoS or Green Lantern. Marvel earned that trust whereas DC expected audience's reverence, assumption. Did you see MoS' ratings? Financial successful which I expected your movie to be but reviews are mixed and less than stellar than the Nolan films...which I must say that it would be the same for the crossover movie coming in March.). Just an observation, particularly in regards to Snyder, is standing on shaky grounds and making shots that aren't well-placed especially when Marvel caught the audiences' trust and their effect on said people. The shows on TV could be placed like how the movies are doing with Agent Carter, FlashSupergirl and Agents of SHIELD just to name a few examples popped in my head.

Some movies may not be good no matter how well-acted they may be. While MCU still has mistakes in their movies, DCCU better stand in the ball game as MCU is playing; I don't care of domination but what I do care is quality, not brand name (see my previous rant about animation). I know about their rivalry and understand the economy and capitalism with it but sometimes it's just exasperating and just want an anti-fan-war community on everything basically. I want a DCCU, okay but all the factors especially the pressure makes everything on that project more significant for all DC fans and moviegoers. Snyder and everyone on board really has to deliver and they need to deliver it well.

By the way, one scene Steve Rogers definitely looks like Alfred F. Jones. Yes, Hetalia is still in my heart and I can't step out even though I stepped out of Persona and even FMA fandom to move onto whatever fandom I got myself into; when countries are mentioned, my mind flashed to Hetalia counterpart. I'm sorry but that's how it is for me now.


I'm not going to do the MCU's arcana but rather BH6's (going by the movie).

Character - Arcana 

Hiro - Fool/Wheel of Fortune/Death

Tadashi - Hierophant

Baymax - Strength

Gogo - Justice

Honey Lemon - Priestess

Fred - Sun

Wasabi - Chariot

Cass - Empress/Temperance

No comments:

Post a Comment