Wednesday, July 6, 2016

What I Look For In Original Characters (and Brief Mentions of LGBT Headcanons)


And this goes for new media as well.

Original characters tends to have a bad rep and sometimes it's deserving. There are some really bad names and some really badly written ones. Very rarely I will pair specific OC's with a canon character because of how badly written the OC and relationship is written. I cry a lot that it is badly written.

The idea of Mary Sue/Gary Stu, I feel already is moot. When I see people call empty slates characters that players like the P3-4 protagonists AKA the one we plays Gary Stus, I drink hard alcohol and muttering "WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!"

What I want for me to accept OCs are them to be personalized. Place them in situations and let them react and cope with their personality in mind. Do not letting events fully define that character; it may impact them, yes, but really do not let that character define himself by that event and say that character is brooding because of it.

Julian Larson of CP Coulter's Dalton (the author herself doesn't seem to expect her story to explode in popularity at all judging from the original intro notes in the first chapter in FFNet... Just to put it out there, it's a simply innocent fanfiction like any other fanfiction; you are allowed to dislike it just as I am allowed to dislike this Glee fic Hunting the Unicorn (as well-written as it is, I just don't like it; I will not deny its well-written state, okay? I just don't like the story); it's the matter of opinion and respecting that opinion; seeing that I personally regards Frozen as flawed yet enjoyable while respecting those who like and dislike the movie, you see where I am going yes?), while in love with Logan, has his own life and friends with the cast of Something Damaged and family he does care for. His love for Logan does not fully define his character but his love does impact his character and show his selflessness in regards of his love interest. Even his fling with Sebastian Smythe (Grant Gustin goes onto to be Barry Allen so good choice there, Glee actor! You too Marley Rose, Melissa Benoist as Supergirl! Both of you portray your new roles well and certainly better written than Glee's) does not define his character. Likewise, Neko of Fox Face and Flames is a big sister-type influenced by the trials and CASCO but also by her beloved friends and family.

To let them be their own characters. Do not let them be mouthpieces to spew out some notions like Creator's Pet favoritism (lookin' at you, Terajima) or beliefs that the characters would not share (for the love of Godoka, everyone in Glee; they're unrecognizable by season 4; it's like watching the world burn by then. Season 3 was like a train speeding towards its demise. S5 and 6 is like the world decide to obliterate itself repeatedly after coming back to life repeatedly in little moments of sanity and goodness, especially the sanity part because everything in Glee by then I want to throw a wretch at).

Author Avatars are fine as long as they too remain characters. Himapapa does a good job with Estonia/Eduard von Bock, being his own character while still fitting in with the Hetalia-verse. M. Night Shyamalan unfortunately has author avatars that are badly written and obviously so self-absorbed it's embarrassing to just watch when his reputation is in shambles at that point.

So I want characters to be their own characters with their own beliefs on stuff influenced by the world they grew up in. Not to be mouthpieces which will irritate me or to be pointless overall. While a great plot can be ideal, what I look for the most are characters, the ideas of Mary Sues/Gary Stus be damned. Much as I dislike My Immortal by Tara, it is fascinating to watch the character Enoby.

I wonder if he ever met movie stars and other top designers' children. I'm sure he travel a lot due to his work though. Due to the limited budget and recycled animation for clothes (I honestly expect Adrien to dress in loads of designer clothes, being a son of a rich fashion designer.), his clothes are rather limited or those are just his only casual clothes which can't be possible because he goes to school publicly. Speaking of which, I honestly expects paps to scoop him out or stalkers out to get him due to the level of fame he got. He's no movie star but he is featured a lot on magazines and admittedly good-looking. 
This is simply a headcanon, nothing more.

I just can't help but see Adrien Agreste as bisexual. This is in no way influenced by me being bisexual. I just like the idea of Adrien being bi.

I mean he gotta work with this guy, Francisco Lachowski.

This is Julian Larson's face-cast, the OC I mentioned previously. He's gorgeous, isn't he? Too bad he's both a husband and a father already. And Julian Larson is about to be taken by Logan Wright. And yeah, Julian Larson is bisexual as well and in love with Logan Wright.
Seriously I saw LBGTQIA+ headcanons for characters before. Just as long as they stay headcanons, it's all fine and good. For example, the Trajectory of Laughter fic I read and mentioned previously had the main couple Miyuki Kazuya and Sawamura Eijun be homosexual, especially the former since we got a point of view from him. It does help that the team members who knows (indirectly or directly due to accident or observation) are supportive of their relationship even after Eijun got amnesia.

Unless they are canon that is like Glee's Kurt Hummel being gay.

No comments:

Post a Comment